Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What does Asperger's syndrome look like ?

This is Keith, my little " oh look! a lizard!" child. We have been through so many hills and valleys together and just when I think the riddle may be solved as to what disorder is afflicting him, we get slammed with "Pervasive Development Disorder". What is that? what did you just say? why have I never heard this before? Well, PDD is a thousand dollar word for Autism Spectrum of disorders. GREAT! On top of what my guy already has to deal with on a daily basis, we can now throw something else into his "gumbo". I am told that whatever disorder he has, he is very high functioning, why does that not soothe me? I think of him never fitting into social situations, not knowing the right response to a joke... then I think, wait, I have friends and a family member with children who cope very well with forms of this disorder every day, if they can do it, so can we!!!!! Now, I am far from "thrilled" by this idea, but it is what it is, and for today, we are happy not to be suspended.... so I guess this is what aspergers looks like.... one day at a time......

No comments:

Post a Comment